How to be Mentally Strong
I teach clients, and my kids, how important it is to be mentally strong. People often focus on being physically strong but life isn’t whole without the mental strength.
Everyone faces challenges — from bad days, to devastating life-changing events, sickness, financial stress, relationship issues … Life can be tough and we need to be mentally strong to deal with these events; to learn, grow and come out of the situation stronger than before!
Just as we train our muscles, we need to train our brain — our mind-set, our thoughts, our techniques and ways to excel through the difficult days.
“Mental strength is that quiet confidence that you will cope with whatever befalls and that you will overcome any obstacle however challenging it may first appear, because you have done so over and over again in training or in life’s experience.” ~ Peter Bakersville
It’s easy … but it’s not easy.
Once you find a few ways to cope and face challenges then it becomes a way of life and easier to find strength .. and happiness.
Here are a few ideas that I do when I’m struggling …
- Read personal development books to grow and become more confident
- Lace up my tennis shoes, go for a walk and listen to a podcast
- Search the internet for something funny or motivating
- Look for the good in any situation and make a list the positive
- Pray (or mediate … whatever brings you peace)
- Blast music that makes me happy and energetic
- Do something nice for someone else
Here are things I do daily to get my mind in a healthy state …
- Drink water as soon as I wake-up (I make myself drink a huge glass before I can have coffee!) and throughout the day
- Exercise 30-minutes, 5 days per week
- Read, watch a video or listen to podcast for personal development — either business, life, faith, fitness or motivational
- TRY to eat healthy 80% of the time; limit sugar and junk food
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep
Some of my favorite books and podcast:
- Anything Joel Osteen (faith/life — books & podcast)
- Amy Porterfield (business — podcast)
- The Chalene Show (business/fitness/life — podcast)
- Team Beachbody (business/fitness — podcast)
- Any video or books from Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, Oprah Winfrey, Tony Robbins
What are your ways to cope and live a mentally strong life? Share in the comments and give us more ideas …