You do not need to eat healthy 100% of the time. Try to live by an 80/20 approach.
Eat healthy 80% of the time and leave 20% for foods that you just can’t live without (mine happen to be Doritos and French Fries!).
A Simple Plan:
This might be a big (huge) change for you so start small. If your current eating cycle is more like a 50/50, then take it week by week and improve a little at a time.
Week 1: 50/50%
- use a journal to keep track of what you eat so you can understand the areas you need to improve
Week 2: 60/40%
- Remove one of the unhealthy options from week 1 OR replace it with a healthier option.
- options might include: replace one soda with a glass of water – eat 2 cookies instead of 5 – replace your evening snack with a cup of decaf tea – replace an unhealthy side with veggies on your dinner plate
Week 3: 70/30%
- You’re getting closer to the goal. What else do you need to remove or replace? Pick another item.
- options (including week 2): begin the day with a healthier breakfast that includes more protein and less sugar – use smaller plates for meals to reduce your portion size – eliminate one day that you eat out with a home lunch or dinner
Week 4: 80/20%
- Congratulations! You did it ….. or you’re getting better! Continue on this path until you reach the 80/20 lifestyle! (you can do it!)
Remember, you won’t always be perfect. There is no perfection to eating healthy all the time (at least not for most of us!). Try your best and it will become a habit and you will like the improvements you feel … and see. Some days will be a 50/50 but just recharge the next day and get back on track.
There are several apps and web sites that allow you to track your food and provide nutritional information. If you have any questions about those apps/sites, just email me or message me on Facebook.
live healthy & be YOUR best,
About Missy: Living healthy comes naturally to me. I live it & love it so I enjoy educating, motivating and helping others to do the same. I was born with a heart condition and had open heart surgery at the age of 8. I grew up being active and playing sports and am thankful to have my health. I’ve been in the fitness industry industry over 18 years and am ready to help you with your fitness and wellness goals.